After years of “Canadian-style” bacon and other imitations, you can now have imported USDA-approved Canadian peameal back bacon delivered to your doorstep. Ask anyone in Canada to describe true Canadian bacon and they will tell you “peameal bacon.” It’s made from main muscle boneless pork loins, short cut from the leaner portion of the loin to give a more uniform product. External fat is trimmed to within 1⁄8 inch. It is then sweet pickle cured and rolled in the traditional golden cornmeal coating, giving it the REAL Canadian bacon trademark. Order some today and try the REAL Canadian Bacon Roast Dinner below…it’s great!
- Toast English Muffins
- Place one slice of REAL Canadian Bacon on each muffin half
- Top with poached eggs and smother with hollandaise sauce
- Garnish with lemon slice and parsley
REAL Canadian Bacon on a Bun
- Three slices of REAL Canadian Bacon on a fresh Kaiser roll (or bun of your choice)
- Garnish with lettuce and tomato
- Red onion, cheddar or mozzarella cheese, honey mustard or Dijon mustard
REAL Canadian Bacon Caesar Salad
- Char grill one slice REAL Canadian Bacon
- Cut into strips
- Arrange on top of salad
- Burger With Attitude
- Top hamburger with one or two slices of REAL Canadian Bacon and see what a difference it makes!
- Sliced or grated cheese, red onion slice, honey mustard or mayonnaise
Traditional Country Style Roast
Coat REAL Canadian Bacon chub/whole roast with honey and mustard, add a little water and oven bake in a covered pan for approximately 1½ hours (166° F internal temperature). Cook the last ½ hour uncovered. Upon cutting, the result should be pinkish in color and juicy with a firm texture.
REAL Canadian Bacon Roast Dinner
- Cover roast with black currant jelly
- Coat with one cup of cooking sherry
- Roast in oven approximately 1½ hours at 350° F
- Baste often
YIELD: 1 Quart
- Cider Vinegar 8 oz.
- Peppercorns, black 1 Tbsp.
- Water 2 cups
- Add vinegar and peppercorns to saucepan, bring to the boil and let reduce until it almost forms syrup.
- Add water and take off heat. Strain into clean container.
- Chill and retain for later use.
- Gourmet chefs blend egg yolks 4 oz (1.2 cup)
- Reduction Base 1 Tbsp.
- Clarified butter, unsalted 1-1/2 Lb. (24 fluid ounces)
- Tabasco sauce 2 tsp.
- Lemon juice (fresh) 1 Tbsp.
- Kosher Salt 2 tsp.
- In a stainless bowl, mix gourmet chefs blend with reduction and whip until frothy and mixture forms soft peaks.
- Over a double boiler, whisk chef’s blend until “ribbony” in consistency about 4-5 minutes. Remove bowl from double boiler and set on a wet side towel to prevent the bowl from moving.
- Slowly whisk in the warm butter (140 degrees), mixing constantly to form emulsion.
- Season sauce with lemon juice, salt, and Tabasco sauce.
- Strain the sauce through a fine chinois mousseline.
Maple Glazed Peameal Bacon
Superb for breakfast on the deck
To make six servings:
- 2½ lb REAL Canadian Bacon chub roast
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- ½ tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
Cut REAL Canadian Bacon chub roast in half lengthwise. Place each thick slice on hot lightly greased grill 4 to 5 inches over low moderate coals. Barbecue, turning with tongs, for 20 minutes on each side. Combine maple syrup, lemon juice and cinnamon. Continue to barbecue bacon, brushing with maple syrup mixture and turning often, for 20 minutes longer. Cut each thick slice in diagonal slices across the grain to serve. If bacon is cooked with cover of barbecue closed, cooking time will be reduced by 15 to 20 minutes.
REAL Canadian Bacon Glazed Roast
Score the top of a five pound REAL Canadian Bacon roast in diamonds, as you would a ham. Set on a rack in a greased shallow pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice, stud top symmetrically with seven or so cloves. Make a paste of 3 tablespoons pineapple jam, 1 teaspoon dry mustard and 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs or flour. Spread this over top of roast. Pour about ½ cup fruit juice into the pan. Bake at 325° F for approximately 1½ to 1¾ hours (166° F internal temperature). Baste with pan liquid often. Add a few tablespoons boiling water during the cooking if pan seems dry.
REAL Canadian Bacon Classic Whole Roast
So easy and quick to prepare, this makes an attractive and delicious meal to serve with scalloped potatoes and baked acorn squash.
- 5 lb unsliced REAL Canadian Bacon whole roast
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp dry mustard
Cut roast into thin slices, then reassemble into original form by tying together with butcher’s twine. Place on rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake in a 350° F oven for 1 hour. Pour ¼ cup water into the pan to prevent bacon drying out. Combine maple syrup, apple juice, lemon juice, flour and mustard in a small saucepan; mix well. Heat to boiling. Remove bacon from oven. Brush maple syrup mixture over bacon and drizzle some between the slices. Return to oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes (166° F internal temperature) and baste occasionally with remaining glaze. Place on a platter. Cut string, then pull it away carefully to allow slices to fall neatly in a domino effect along the platter. Makes 6 to 8 servings.