For nine weeks every Friday, my chef, Mike McColl and I had the great pleasure of cooking at a different radio Q107 listener’s home for the Q107 Derringer Tour of the Neighborhood. Twenty to fifty guests each Friday! Ad different home, a different kitchen, a lot of food and beer. Up at four—that’s A.M., folks—and cooking at five. Eating ‘till nine. For all you Q107 fans, this is our Classing Rock with Derringer in the Morning breakfast sandwich.
- 2 lb, sliced Wiltshire Cure Premium
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup beer
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp. Bone Dust BBQ Spice (see reverse)
- 4 burger buns
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- In a bowl, stir together the maple syrup, beer, Bonedust Spice and barbecue sauce.
- Grill the sliced Wiltshire Cure Premium, basting liberally with the maple sauce, for two minutes per side. Stack the sliced Wiltshire Cure Premium into four piles. Mound ¼ cup of cheese onto each stack and let the cheese melt.
- Lightly toast both sides of the burger buns on the grill. Place burger bun bottom on each of four plates. Place a sliced Wiltshire Cure Premium-and-melted-cheese stack on each bun, followed by a lid. Serve with a daily dose of Derringer.
Tip: For an added twist, top sliced Wiltshire Cure Premium with scrambled eggs.
From On Fire in the Kitchen © 2004 Chef Ted Reader